Episode #12 – Crime, Punishment and Television

Episode #12 – Crime, Punishment and Television

This week we share all the fun stories from last weekend’s Leprechaun’s Wake and tell you about an upcoming legendary gathering that may result in wonton destruction and unbridled inebriation.  After that we get serious discussing a court case that has Ginny Tonic considering our legal system.  From there we lighten the tone with a discussion of past television series.  In the end, we foster our own recovery with Ginny’s remarkable Bloody Mary and close with a spot of music hand delivered from England.  For the second week in a row, we bring the episode in right at the 1 hour mark.  All this an more in episode #12 of the Charlie Tonic Hour!

Download the episode:
charlietonichour012.mp3

iTunes
charlietonic.libsyn.com/rss

Segment 1 – Discourse Intercourse
(Starts at 15 seconds into the show)

The Leprechauns Wake!

The show begins!

Marmalade Brigade

Ford Theatre Reunion

Aloysius Fox Introduces Hellblinki

Additional Photos!
If you didnt go to the leprechauns wake…

The Show For Next Weekend
More Information Here

Segment 2 – Does Punishment Equal the Crime?
(Starts at 15 minutes, 55 seconds into the show)

Details on the Tyler Clementi Case

Segment 3 – What Television Do You Miss?
(Starts at 27 minutes, 56 seconds into the show)

Ginny Tonic’s Picks:
Arrested Development | 3rd Rock From The Sun
Night Court | “That Thayne Maynard Zoo Series”Animaniacs

Charlie’s Picks:
Top 5 Missing Television Series

Segment 4 – Bottoms Up
(Starts at 48 minutes, 36 seconds into the show)

Ginny Tonic’s AMAZING Bloody Mary

Horseradish Bloody Mary Photo by Sarah Shatz

Previous Discussion of Buckeye Vodka:
Buckeye Vodka: Ohio’s Gift To The World | Podcast Discussion

Segment 5 – Closing Out The Show With A Spot of Music
(Starts at 54 minutes, 20 seconds into the show)

Music Discussed At The Close Of The Hour

The Official Band of The Charlie Tonic Hour
callingdoctorbombay.com

Doctor Bombay and the Atomic Bachelor Pad

6 Responsesto “Episode #12 – Crime, Punishment and Television”

1. Travis says:

Charlie,

Ginny mentions Animaniacs, and you quoted Tiny Toons.

C’mon, man!! ;)

2. Charlie says:

Hah! Travis, thanks for the correction. I absolutely got my cartoon goodness crossed. Should have opted for a “narf” and left it at that.

3. Gintia says:

I’m not sure I’m totally with Ginny on every comment about suicide and the guilt-or-not of bullies, but I do agree in general. We should be held legally responsible for predictable outcomes, though perhaps we should be held morally responsible for a broader range of outcomes. And I think normal people should hold themselves responsible for more negative things that they’re indirectly a cause of than anyone else would blame them for.

But what I really wanted to say was that you should read the book 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. In the wake of a suicide, a friend discovers various little things that built on each other to lead to despair. It’s great on audiobook. They’re making a movie and it will probably get a lot of hype. The book is not too depressing, though, and definitely gives the message, “Be careful what you do, you never know what effect things will have.” It’s a book that both teens and adults are wowed by and I cannot recommend it enough. (This is coming from someone who likes light books and happy endings!)

• Ginny says:

I will have to check out that book Gintia, thanks. On a similar subject I also remember reading and enjoying “Perks of Being a Wallflower.” I can’t remember who wrote it but deals with similar issues and also quotes the The Smiths.

4. Calamity Dawn says:

All right, good show! The segment on bullying was good, and I pretty much agree with you Ginny. I was bullied, a lot, when I was a kid. I was bullied for being weird, for not wearing the best clothes, for my grooming habits (I had a problem with hair brushing… I hated doing it. The best thing my Mom did for me back then was when she made me get a pixie cut… which I was also teased for…) I was bullied for being Jewish. (I waas the only Jewish kid in a school of 300+ kids in Texas… *sigh*) I survived it all. Suicide and the attempt to do so is indicitave of a greater problem. The bullying doesn’t help, and may be the straw that breaks the camels back, but it doesn’t cause someone to kill themself.

On a happier note: I’ve never been a Bloody Mary fan, but I’ll give yours a try!

• Ginny says:

I was not bullied a whole lot but I did take my share of shit. I was one of those kids who took a perverse pride in being weird and any comments on the way I dressed or acted only made me more determined. Then I got into my animal rights phase and spent my middle school years trying to convince my classmates to become vegetarian. Not the best way to win friends at that age.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. If you didn’t go to The Leprechaun’s Wake… | The Charlie Tonic Hour - [...] on such a great show. You can hear more about the show and get the stories behind the pictures …